James W. Conroy started the business with its opening on October 27, 1949. However, the historic Plainfield Avenue residence dates back to the early 1900's and was originally owned by the Truesdale family. Back then, the business operated out of three small rooms in the front of the original house.
Over the years, the home grew with the blossoming community, and in 1955, the building's first addition was underway. A second addition sprang up in the 1960's to further accommodate more families.
After Conroy's death in 1973, his wife, Loretta, took the helm until 1983 when the family business passed on to the Hunters. Robert Hunter first started working at Conroy's in 1971 when he was a senior at South Plainfield High School. From there, he went on to graduate from the American Academy McAllister Institute of Funeral Service, obtained his license, and took a position at Conroy's in 1979.
The building was redecorated in 1990 and Victorian embellishments were added to the exterior. In 2004, Wellington acquired the James W. Conroy Funeral Home in South Plainfield, NJ. With an extensive renovation project now complete, the name "South Plainfield Funeral Home" was added to the existing "James W. Conroy" name, meshing modern times while preserving the legacy of the business' founder.